A project in Banaue, Ifugao utilizing hog manure for fuel was given a P 1.36 million grant by the Productivity Enhancement Program (or KR2 Program) managed by the National Economic Development Authority – Cordillera Administrative Region (NEDA-CAR).
The project, entitled “Promoting BioGas Technology at the Grassroots Level”, covers ten barangays of Banaue, Ifugao and has about a hundred household-beneficiaries. It will be implemented starting January 2012 and is expected to be completed in a year.
The signing of the Memorandum of Agreement ( MOA) for this undertaking was held last December 16, 2011 in NEDA-CAR, Baguio City. Mayor Jerry Dalipog of Banaue signed the MOA on behalf of the LGU of Banaue while Director Leonardo N. Quitos, Jr. signed on behalf of NEDA-CAR. Also present during the MOA signing were Banaue Councilors Joel Bungallon and Jun Dumar.
During the MOA signing a check worth P1.08 representing 80% of the P 1.36 million pesos was turned over by Director Quitos to Mayor Dalipog. The remaining 20% or P272,000 will be given upon completion of the project.
Biogas technology makes use of hog manure which is deposited to biotanks or digesters where it will be processed into fuel. PVC pipes will be connected from the biotank which will then supply the households with fuel. About 20 biotanks will be constructed around the coverage barangays and approximately 100 piglets will be distributed to 10-15 households. Also part of the project is an IEC Campaign for the household-beneficiaries on the use of biogas technology and hog-raising as a livelihood project.
The project is the first time biogas technology will be applied on a barangay-wide level in the country.
By helping reduce the households’ dependence on liquified petroleum gas (LPG) and promoting hog-raising as an alternative source of livelihood, the project hopes to increase the income of its beneficiaries. The excess water from the biotank can also be used for organic fertilizer in farms. Further, since animal waste can now be collected systematically and disposed of properly, sanitation in the area is improved and air pollution lessened.
KR2 is a fund support program of the Government of Japan for LGUs in the Philippines with proposed Small/Micro Agri-based Enterprise Development projects (particularly pilot-testing/prototyping, documentation and dissemination/replication of new technologies and best practices) as well as activities that will enhance/protect the environment.
NEDA, as the administrator of the fund, accepts and evaluates LGU-proposed projects. To date, the Cordillera is the region with the most number of approved KR2 projects.